Friday, September 24, 2010

Series Premiere of "The Event"

The series premiere of NBC's The Event this past Monday has left me on the fence about the show. Yes, it was quick-paced and cinematic, but really, what happened? I am left vaguely disinterested in the characters (who weren't exactly dynamic), and not really caring about what the event is, even. It just didn't have an explosive, pilot episode feel. Especially since it's being marketed as essentially the next LOST, which had a fantastic pilot episode. Also, so much for the producers answering questions. Or even really bringing up any questions we didn't already have. Why should I care what the event is?

The Event premiered to a 3.7, which is probably lower than the network expected, but still not entirely disappointing. It was up in ratings from the season premiere of Chuck at 8, and rose still after the first half-hour. NBC was left in third place (among adults 18-49) for the night.

I think the producers will have to have some pretty awesome tricks up their sleeves to keep this show entertaining. I hope they have some multi-season plan, and aren't just going by the edge of their seats (or whatever phrase should go here... I have a feeling that's not it). Maybe part of the "greatness" of the show is that we can't see where it's going. But I would like to know that it is indeed going somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that you cannot hide everything about a show once the show premieres. I didn't watch it, but if what you're saying is accurate about the producers not answering any of the questions in the pilot episode, people will quickly lose interest in the show.

    However, I think they definitely spent enough money advertising this show. I saw ads everywhere! And they were repetitive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the ratings were pretty good for NBC, but you raise a great point; NBC is staking a lot on this show's success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was definitely cinematic and full of energy but i love that it was like that and im excited to get some answers but i hope its not stupid.. it all seemed good until the plane disappeared.. if theres something weird like aliens im going to be mad. i hope they can keep up that energy and it will be a good show i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the Lost format for shows now. Let's hide everything and the confused masses will tune in because they don't know what is going on. For the record I watched Lost but I won't watch The Event...fool me once. I remember reading an interview with some Lost producers or writers or something. And they said they had the show already written for 10 seasons. They had no idea where they were going with it, just like I'm sure The Event has no idea where they will end up.

    ReplyDelete